If you give your vintage or antique ring a little love it should last you a lifetime.
Follow our tips to look after your jewellery:
- Take your vintage rings off if you’re doing activity that might knock, scratch or damage them - i.e. cooking, the gym, sports, washing up, DIY.
- Remove rings before swimming and showering
- Household chemicals can damage precious stones - keep your jewellery away from cleaning products, harsh beauty products and chlorine in swimming pools. If your ring does come into contact with chemicals, rinse it in water immediately.
- Bathe and apply any lotions or perfumes before you put your jewellery on.
- Organic gemstones like pearls and opals are particularly vulnerable to acids, even perspiration, so take them off to work out or apply beauty products
- Store rings separately, ideally in a soft-lined boxes (like the one it arrived in) so they can’t scratch one another.
- Opals and pearls in particular should be kept separately as they are easily scratched by hard gemstones.
- Make sure chains and necklaces are fastened when storing to avoid tangling.
- When storing jewellery, please keep it away from sunlight, excessive heat or damp conditions.
Cleaning Your Jewellery:
- Never, ever put opals, pearls, emeralds, tanzanite and coral into ultra-sonic cleaning machines, as they can damage these stones.
- Use luke warm (never hot or boiling) water to clean your vintage jewellery, with a little soap and a soft brush. A baby toothbrush or a clean paintbrush are perfect!
- Carefully clean using soft, circular motions to clean gems, metals and settings. Don’t forget the backs of your settings and gems where dirt loves to collect.
- For items you wear everyday, aim to clean them once a week.
- Opals and pearls are particularly delicate - don’t submerge them or leave them to soak in water and be extra gentle.
- Use soft, micro fibre cloths to dry and polish gemstones and metal. Paper towels can be too abrasive and can scratch jewellery.
With a little love and care your jewellery will last much longer, and will always look its best. Then you can wear your beautiful vintage and antique rings with pride and show them off when ever you can.